Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Spices

My tip this week is about spices.  I have tons of 'em.  I buy them for one recipe, and they seem to stay in my cabinet.  It is important to have fresh spices to make sure your recipes turn out right.  A few years ago I found a great section of our grocery store - the bulk spices!  They are super easy to use (you put 'em in a small bag) and super cheap (I don't think I have ever paid more than 50 cents for a full bag).  This is great especially during holiday time when you use spices that you may not at other times.

Sometimes I will keep them in the bag, other times I may move them into some of the small plastic baby food containers I got from Nate.  Super easy, and I just label 'em with my label maker.

If you are wondering if your spices are too old, here is a good site from McCormick.  And some info on how long you should keep them (I may need to clean out my spice rack today).


Do you have any tips on spices?