Monday, March 21, 2011

Irish Soda Bread Wedges

I'm really enjoying making quick breads.  They are super easy, and Ry really likes them!  I got this recipe from Erin at 5 Dollar Dinners.  I won one of her cookbooks, and have loved trying her recipes (although I'm usually paying over $5 with local ingredients and all).  And it is a good way to use up of leftover buttermilk. This recipe goes great with Beef Stew!

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour (I used white and white wheat)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
butter and jam

  1. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda.  To remind myself of which I have done, I make little piles of each over the flour, so I know I didn't forget anything.
  2. Once sifted, make a well in the center.  Blend in buttermilk.
  3. On a lightly floured surface, lightly knead dough and form into a 1 inch thick disk, about 5-6 inches in diamater.
  4. Cut the disk into 6 equal wedges.
  5. Place wedge of a lightly greased pie pan or other glass baking dish.
  6. Bak at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until cooked though.
  7. Great with butter, and jam if you wish!